Nigel was friends with the Tank Gang, and also met Nemo after he ended up joining them (due to being taken from his habitat by the dentist). However, he is usually driven out by the dentist shortly thereafter. Nigel later told Nemo about his dad Marlin's attempt to find Nemo after hearing it from his pelican friends, which gave Nemo a new drive at sabotaging the filter. He is also annoyed by the Seagulls.
Nigel eventually met Marlin and his partner Dory when they ended up nearly being eaten by his friend Gerald, and after discovering who they were, he tries to explain that he knows Nemo, but they tried to flee as they weren't willing to be eaten by him. He helps Marlin and Dory escape certain death by the Seagulls, and brings them to the dentist's office. When he, Marlin, and Dory think that Nemo is dead, Nigel takes them to a nearby buoy, puts Dory and Marlin back into the water, and leaves saying, "I'm so sorry. Truly, I am."
Nigel appears as a large puppet in Finding Nemo: The Musical and in the promotion for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, appeared as an animatronic attached to the Sub Bus and introduced Crush for a traveling version of Turtle Talk with Crush.
- "An outie. From my neck of the woods, eh? Sorry if I ever took a snap at you. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat."
- "I heard he took on three."
- "Fasten you seat belts!"
- "I got something to tell ya."
- Nigel was voiced by Geoffrey Rush who also plays Captain Barbossa.
- Brown pelicans' (Pelecanus occidentalis) geographical distribution don't extend to Australia; they are only found in the Americas.